Which are the effects of this disease?
- In fact the muscular walls of the heart thicken during the evolution of the disease. The direct consequency of this thickening of the ventricles muscular walls makes that the ventricles cavities become too smaller to entertain the heart process. Hypertrophy affects the heart’s ability to function properly
Can one look after this disease?
- Unfortunately the exit of this disease is fatal in the more or less long term. There are medicamentous treatments whose objective is to slow down the progression of the disease. No cure, but your sphynx will have a confortable life in almost all cases.
- In order to follow this serious (potentially) genetic desease, the breeders must perform regular hcm scans on his cats, every 12-18 months.
- As any thing is never black or white, there are however several forms ofHCM, of which some would not have genetic origin. Information papers or scientific articles on this topic are easily found on the Net by making a research on HCM (or CMH in French)
- One is very interesting : http://members.aol.com/jchinitz/hcm/index.htm